Total Pageviews

Monday, August 6, 2007

Snow shoeing – one snowy step at a time

My folks recently came down to visit me in Thredbo. I think it was also just a really good excuse for a weekend away but that’s fine with me – it was great to see them and to dine out for a change. My meagre budget usually limits me to one night at the pizzeria or kebab shop per week! Nay, make that per fortnight!

So Mum and Dad had never skied in their life which left me wondering what we were going to do for three days in al Alpine resort. You have to hit the slopes in some capacity if you come all the way to the snow. So I strapped my thinking cap on and enrolled us into snow shoeing.

It was such a magic, blue sky day and we had a blast. Sadly Mum got sick and had to pull out but Dad and I unleashed our inner Antarctic explorer and strapped on our snow shoes which I was relieved to find our much more fancy than the tennis racquet-looking contraptions from once upon a time. We had a blast and I cannot stop recommending it to everyone down here.

I think the best part was going backcountry and being away from the hoards of skiers and boarders. There was not a soul around and we could see all the way to Mount Kosciusko. It was easy to become snap happy – it was so picturesque.

The brochure claimed that if you can walk, you can snow shoe. There’s really not much more to it than that!

Simone x

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Loving the blog BlizWiz! I hope you are doing some serious one piece touching in between downing schnapps. I can't believe you were reunited with Roo! I think the photos of his adventures must be shared with the world... I'll email them so you can post them! Take care Bliz, miss you heaps. Shell xxxx