Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Kenya - my last backpacking adventure


I have 18 days left before I pack up my life, again, and move down to Thredbo to kick off the 2007 ski season as... drum roll please... a snow reporter.

Just think Bridget Jones on two skis.

To say I am excited is a huge understatement. So, before i jet off again leaving Sydney's gorgeous beaches, fabulous bars and restaurants, and tempting shopping in my wake I thought I would take time out to relive my last adventure with Bertha the backpack when in February of this year I headed to Mombasa Kenya to work as volunteer.

For those of you thinking of partaking in this type of adventure, just do it. Going to Africa is an unbelievable experience in itself but working and becoming part of a community is even more memorable and rewarding. I was expecting to be impressed my the African wildlife but it was the people that won me over.

A typical day for me involved walking 2km to the local school, making ouji (a sweet type of porridge) for breakfast for the 80+ kindie kids, washing up with little more than a bar of soap and a bucket of water, planting and pruning casurina trees, builiding desks, painting the school buildings and helping the teachers in the classrooms. There was just so much to be done.

Whilst in Kenya, Shannon (my fellow adventurer and partner in all bizarre travel expeditions) and I were given nick-names by the locals. Her name was Shaggy Dulu which is Swahili for sexy and hard working (naturally two adjectives that belong together - just think Naomi Campbell on community service, ha ha), and my nickname was Kadzo which is Swahili for small and cute, so I was told. It could have meant sweaty and smelly for all I cared, I was just honoured to have a Swahili name.

I have never left a holiday before with my backpack weighing less than when I arrived - I just couldn't help but give away my belongings to those who needed them more. Bertha the backpack was in shock.

If my experiences in Kenya interest you, please check out the Camps International website for more information on how to go on a working holiday as a volunteer in Africa. They offer all sorts of packages catering to different age groups and interests. www.campsinternational.com I went on the Community Life 2 Project and cannot reccommend it enough foe first timers to Africa who are looking to do a mix of volunteer work and sight-seeing.

Happy travels.

Sim/Kadzo xx

1 comment:

Simone said...

hey! my name is simone too :) i found ur blog thru pru's website! :)

enjoy ur travels!