Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 16, 2007

One board vs. two

It’s a debate going around the village at the moment: to ski or snowboard?

According to my roommates who just spent last season working as lifties in Snow Mass in the US, snowboarding is going down in popularity as more and more punters are waxing two boards as opposed to one before hitting the slopes. So if it is happening in the US it is bound to happen in Oz, right?

Wrong! The boarders were out in droves in Thredbo today and I actually felt like the minority as I carved up the slopes on two skis. Of course, my goal this season is to learn to board because as an avid wakeboarder (when I can stow away on a friend’s boat) I figure I at least have a slight head start. But as I have just discovered that I am working the next 6 days straight, I guess I will be waiting a little while until I get to test out my backside 180s just yet. So stay tuned for broken bones, bruised bums and hilarious tales of disaster on a board.

If you want to have your say posted on the snowboard vs ski debate, just post a comment on my blog and we will see how many people we can offend in the process! I guess I fall in the category of fence sitting – a skier who wants to board.

On that note, I took my camera on the slopes today and got a great shot of a guy going off a jump at Walkabout up at the Cruiser. That will be me one day – easy!
Simone x

No comments: