Total Pageviews

Friday, July 27, 2007

Re-united with my blow-up roo

Before I get into my most recent, whacky sighting on the slopes you have to hear the back story first.

I went to Germany last June/July with the lovely Shell and Ray for the World Cup which I must add was one of the best and biggest experiences of my life. But there was also a fourth companion on our trip, my blow-up kangaroo. I bought him for a small fortune in Clapham Fancy Dress in London and he came to all games with us, sat in our room and literally had as much fun as we did. I wish I had the many photos of him eating a Big Mac on a midnight Maccas run, rolling down the main strasse of Munich in a shopping trolley and sitting on the tram going to the Croatia vs. Australia Game with some Croatian fans. This roo got around and I got rather attached to him. Might I add that a picture of roo and I made it in the London Times newspaper and the Sydney Morning Herald all the way back home. We were quite the pair!


Now at the Croatia vs. Australia game I had my roo with me and in all of the excitement of making it through to the next round roo, and yes I am ashamed of this part, was thrown in the air and got swallowed up by the revelling crowd. I couldn’t find him anywhere. It dampened the celebrations for a few seconds but I knew I would fin him – he wouldn’t abandon me now, not after all we had been through.

And yes, I did find him but it wasn’t a happy ending. Roo was deflated (literally) and crushed under a seat. I spotted him when I was leaving and had to look away, he was a World Cup casualty, he was road kill on the side of the
celebratory highway.

So, imagine my surprise when I was standing on the slopes in Australia, doing a piece to camera for my TV snow report and something caught out of the corner of my eye. “Could that be my roo skiing towards me?!” The answer was yes. I have the picture to prove it. It was a grand re-union and just goes to prove that ‘happily ever after’ stories do happen every day.

THE END.


Simone x

No comments: