Total Pageviews

Monday, July 9, 2007

The Blizzard Wizard – too funny!


OK, so it is really touch work being a snow reporter. Apart from starting work at 5.30am and being on radio at 6am and on national TV live at 6.45am some days, you are also responsible for relying important information to would be skiers and boarders. So it is a hugely fun job as well and I wouldn’t swap places with anyone, we do cop some flack from the public and other resort colleagues who claim that we ‘lie, stretch the truth and must be blind!’.

Part of the job description included, must be able to ski, have media experience and be extremely thick-skinned! We can be standing outside in the freezing snow and have people hurl abuse at us as they ski by – really nice. But the best line I heard and one I actually use myself now is, this…

“Why does a snow reporter make a good girlfriend? She thinks 5cm is 15cm!” Insert canned laughter here. So basically, any joke about weather reporters you've got... chances are I have heard it all before.

The other day, however, there was a blizzard and I came up with what I thought was a terribly creative line which I later used on national TV. Ready for it? “The blizzard wizard has cast a snowy spell over the mountain today.” It really reeks of cheese, I know that but it sounded like pure gold. However, my ever cheerful and funny colleagues haven’t let me live this one down and in fact, my nickname is now the blizwiz which has lead to the attached picture being mocked up with one of the guys who had far too much time on his hands! I think it’s hilarious, even if it looks like I have just kissed a toad. So the moral of today’s story – always look for the humour in every comment and situation and then vent and whinge later on. Thanks for reading as I blow up off steam for today!

Ciao x

No comments: